• Inc employer-id-number-ein

Corporations, most LLCs, and all businesses with employees must have this IRS-issued identifier.

Much like a Social Security Number, an Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a federal nine-digit number that identifies a business entity. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues EINs and requires their use on all tax filings during the entire life of a business.

The IRS generally requires the following types of businesses to obtain an EIN:

  • All corporations
  • All Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) with more than one member
  • Any business that hires employees, including sole proprietorships and single-member LLCs

Many nonprofit organizations, as well as trusts and certain co-ops, must also have an EIN. If a business has changed its formation type or emerged from bankruptcy, it is typically required to apply for a new Employer Identification Number (EIN).

For many business owners, obtaining an EIN is one of the first things they do after incorporating or forming an LLC. Along with tax filings, businesses often need an EIN in order to:

  • open business checking accounts
  • establish accounts with certain vendors

Sometimes you'll see the Employer Identification Number referred to as a Federal Tax Identification Number (TIN) or a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). As a general rule, it's good for all businesses, with the exception of sole proprietorships without employees, to have an EIN.

incorporate.com can help.

incorporate.com can obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS on your business's behalf. The process is fast, easy and cost-effective.

It's important to note that along with an EIN, certain states also require companies to obtain a state tax identification number.

Learn more

Get more details about your Employer Identification Number (EIN) in our Frequently Asked Questions section.

Ready to create your company?

get started

Employer Identification Number (EIN) FAQs

What is an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Similar to an individual's Social Security Number, a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) identifies a business for tax purposes. Also called a Federal Tax ID, the EIN is issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The IRS requires corporations, Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) operating as partnerships, and all employers to obtain an EIN. This number is used for all tax filings the business makes. Banks, lenders, and business partners may also request your EIN.

Back to Top

What is the difference between an EIN and a Federal Tax Identification Number?

None. An EIN and a Federal Tax Identification Number are the same, just different terminology for the same number.

Back to Top

Do I need an EIN?

The IRS usually requires corporations and Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) operating as partnerships to obtain an EIN. Any business that hires employees, including sole proprietorships and single-member LLCs, must also apply for an EIN.

Banks may require an EIN in order to open a business checking account. Also, you may need to list your EIN on business license, permit, and tax registration applications.

Back to Top

How do I apply for an EIN?

For only $80 ($175 for non-U.S. residents), incorporate.com can process your EIN application.

Back to Top

What if I lose my EIN?

If you misplaced an EIN previously issued by the Internal Revenue Service, you can either locate your copy of the IRS confirmation letter or web printout containing your EIN that the IRS issued after receiving your EIN application, or you can call the IRS at 800-829-4933. Make sure you have authority to request this information from the IRS. If you do not, the IRS will mail a confirmation letter containing the EIN to the taxpayer listed on the original application.

Back to Top

I already have an EIN, but now I am incorporating. Do I need a new one?

You can visit the IRS website for more information on whether or not you will need a new EIN.

Back to Top

Have a question?

Our incorporation specialists have the answer.

Chat Now